The following method is one that has been found to be very effective for the disinfection of water wells.
If you have a water softener and/or an activated carbon filter put it on by-pass. If you have a reverse osmosis unit, turn off the incoming water to the R.O. This is very important because the chlorine can damage the water softener resin and the R.O. membrane.
Remove the 1/2″ plug in the well seal and pour 4 gallons of household bleach down the well. (Clorox, Purex, or any store brand of bleach. Do not use scented bleaches).
Hook up a water hose to the furthest outside faucet that your hose will reach and run water back into the well. The faucet needs only to be slightly opened. Open the faucet so that the pump starts about four or six times an hour. A small diameter water hose with the end cut off will fit into the hole in the well seal, or you can get fittings at a hardware store that will reduce from a garden hose connection to a 3/8″ copper tubing.
Allow the water to circulate through the well for 4 hours. this should produce very good contact with the interior surfaces of the well, pump, storage tank, and the lines the water is running through.
After the above 4 hours is up, go to all faucets, one at a time, and run water until you smell the chlorine bleach. When you smell the bleach turn the faucet off.
Let the water stand in the pipes for at least 2 hours. Let the water continue to circulate through the well during this time.
After the 2 hours is up, go to the furthest outside faucet from the well and turn it on and let it run. It will take several hours to get the chlorine bleach out of the system. After this is done flush out the lines in the house.
Note: Do not use water until the well and line are flushed out and you cannot detect the taste or odor of chlorine. This process will take several hours, so draw up plenty of water to last for about 10 to 14 hours. When you can’t taste the chlorine in the water you can take the water softener and/or activated carbon filter off by-pass. Wait 24 hours before turning the R.O. back on. If you have any questions feel free to call us at 254-968-5386.